DARK ORANGE CHOCOLATE QUINOA CRISPS | DAIRY, SUGAR & GLUTEN FREE
These make great mid-morning snacks, coffee companions, and dinner guests treats. And, despite the lengthy name, making a batch of dark orange chocolate quinoa crisps is quite simple, and they last very well in the fridge.
Of course, you might like to tell those who partake that they are eating something nutrient dense; good for growing bodies, healthy hair, skin and nails, or even that they’re immune boosting. But perhaps you’d like to keep that to yourselves until after they’ve licked their fingers. “Surprise! That was good for you.” Cue the mischievous laugh.
An extra nice thing about these; you can play with flavours. Try rose geranium instead of orange, or throw in some desiccated coconut, dried cranberries or raisins… perhaps a spice or two? Do share any good combos you come up with; I’d love to try them.
Dark orange chocolate quinoa crisps
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or honey for non-vegan)
- ¼ cup Drasanvi Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 Tbsp Drasanvi Organic Maca Powder (optional stress-adaptor boost)
- 2 tsp Drasanvi Organic Barley Grass (hidden greens!)
- 2 tsp Drasanvi Organic Hemp Hearts
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- ¼ tsp salt (Oryx Desert Salt)
- 8 drops SOiL organic orange essential oil
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- Pop quinoa: in a dry pan on high heat, 2 tablespoons at a time, pop the quinoa while keeping the pan moving (like with popcorn). It should sound like a small electric crackle. Remove quickly, before it burns (after roughly a minute) and repeat until you’ve popped all the quinoa.
- In a small bowl over simmering hot (not boiling) water, melt coconut oil and stir in the maple syrup.
- Remove from heat, add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the quinoa in and mix until combined.
- Blob onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, or into muffin cups.
- Refrigerate until solid, pop into a container and keep in the fridge for 2 weeks or more.
*Quinoa, all superfoods and other organic goodies available at naturaloptions.co.za, SOON. Pre-register now for 30% off your first purchase when the online store is live.