What’s the deal with lymph drainage?
It seems like everyone is going for lymph drainage. But why and what on earth is lymph? And why does it need drainage?
What is meant by lymph?
Lymph is a clear, straw coloured body fluid. The lymphatic system is a large network of pathways and glands. Lymph is moved through the body by muscle contractions.
The system performs multiple interrelated tasks: (It does different things)
- Intestinal lymph absorbs fats and fatty acids from our food
- It transports these nutrients to where they are needed
- It helps to remove waste and toxins
- Makes white blood cells (lymphocytes) in lymph nodes to defend us from bacteria and viruses
- Transports immune reactive cells to where they combat bacteria and viruses
That is why a healthy and well-functioning lymphatic system is essential for detoxification and a robust immune system.
Top 5 causes of sluggish lymph flow
- Sitting still for long periods of time
- Build-up of toxins
- Infections & diseases
- Digestive problems
- Excessive stress
Signs that you may have sluggish lymph flow
If you have some of the following systems, you may want to consider giving your lymphatic system some love:
- Brain fog
- Stubborn weight gain
- Recurring infections and sore throats
- Sinus infections
- Skin conditions such as acne and itching
- Stiffness in the morning
I have loads of symptoms, what now?!
Here are some of the things you can do yourself
3 Quick Office Hacks
- Get off your chair and move – even a brief walk to the watercooler is helpful.
- Swop your office chair for an exercise ball – Also injects some fun into the work day.
- 30 Seconds of deep breathing to refocus and reduce stress.
- Exercises like pilates, yoga, tai-chi and rebounder (trampoline)
- Hydration! Water, water, water and some herbal teas
- Dry skin brushing with a natural bristle brush before showering
- Alternate warm and cold showers (read more about the benefits of cold water immersion here)
- Drink green juice
- Include more fresh raw foods in your diet
- Reduce toxins:
- Use clean skin care products and deodorants free from nasties.
- Use natural cleaning products around the house.
- Ladies, ditch your bras and restrictive clothing (I know we all take them off the moment we get home, go without the bra whenever you can!)
- Get a good night’s rest. Sleep in comfortable pjs or none at all
For the very best results, combine helpful herbs and lymph drainage massage therapy.
Our uniquely formulated Lymph Cleanse drops make it easy to get the ideal combination of herbs in one dose, help to support the lymphatic system.
Lymph drainage massage is a gentle treatment, using flowing movements in the direction of the heart. This encourages the flow of lymph to remove toxins and pathogens from your body.
We recommend that you consult with a qualified, registered masseuse or aromatherapist for this kind of treatment.
If you’re not well and concerned that your body is trying to tell you something, run it by your health care practitioner. A visit to a registered homeopath, naturopath or phytotherapist can help point you in the right direction.